Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate
Before you complete this form
  1. Understand what we can and can't investigate and check if we’re the right agency in Victoria to report this matter to.
  2. Be clear on which council and person are the subjects of your allegation and have all relevant documents ready to upload to support your allegation.
  3. Understand your privacy options and what happens to your complaint.
  4. Remember that providing detailed, specific and relevant information on this form will allow us to effectively assess your complaint. Please set out clearly and concisely the allegations you wish to make, before providing further information or context surrounding the circumstances.
  5. Please be aware that there are penalties for providing false or misleading information to the Inspectorate.

If you are using a shared computer:

After completing this complaint form and to protect your privacy, clear your browsing history including your cache and all autofill form data.

You will be able to print out a copy of this form and your responses after submitting (using the Print receipt link). This form will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Save & Return

Use an account to return to saved work.

Part 1

Has an offence or breach been committed under the Local Government Act 1989? *
Matters outside the Local Government Act 1989 are not within the jurisdiction of the Local Government Inspectorate. However, there may be other agencies that can deal with your complaint.
Please visit our webpage on integrity agencies for more information.
If you think an offence or breach has been committed, please select the relevant offence from the Local Government Act 1989. *

If your complaint shows that a councillor or member of council staff has engaged or proposes to engage in improper conduct, this could constitute a public interest disclosure.

You can choose to have us assess the complaint if you tell us that the disclosure (your complaint) is not a public interest disclosure. More information is on our website.

Part 2

Have you already contacted the Inspectorate about this matter? *
Have you taken any steps so far in relation to this matter? (e.g. have you complained previously to a council or another agency) *
Are you making this allegation on behalf of someone else? If so, you will need to prove that the person knows of your complaint and has authorised you to act on their behalf.  *

Part 3

0/150 characters

Your Details

What is the best way to contact you? *
Do you want to make an anonymous complaint? You can do this, but it may impact the Inspectorate’s ability to seek further information from you and may impact its ability to progress your complaint. *

Collection notice

In accordance with our privacy policy, the Department of Premier and Cabinet (the Department) - on behalf of the Inspectorate - undertakes to treat any personal information provided by you as confidential and in accordance with its obligations under state and federal privacy law, including the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic). Personal information you provide, such as your name and email address, will only be used to contact you in relation to issues directly related to that purpose.

The Department is using the services of FormSite to administer this form. The Department is responsible for ensuring that FormSite adheres to, and handles your personal information in accordance with our privacy policy. The information you provide is sent to FormSite via a secure URL which has 256 bit encryption (the "https" protocol in the address bar of your internet browser demonstrates this) and will be stored in FormSite's servers, which are collocated exclusively in the cloud with Amazon Web Services. More information about this can be found by visiting FormSite's privacy and security pages.

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online complaints form. A member of our team will be in touch soon regarding your complaint.

If you wish to speak with us in person please phone the contact centre on 1800 469 359 or 03 7017 8212.