The Part-Time TABE Lobbyist will serve as a liaison between the Texas Association for Bilingual Education and the state government and organizations whose legislative objectives align with those of TABE.
The services to be provided by the TABE Lobbyist shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Promote TABE’s objectives;
- Strategize with TABE ways to achieve TABE’s objectives;
- Develop relationships and collaborate with other organizations whose objectives align with those of TABE;
- Develop and implement lobbying strategies;
- Share and advocate TABE’s positions with government officials and appropriate organizations;
- Educate legislators about TABE’s objectives;
- Network with and organize legislators, citizens, and organizations to achieve TABE’s objectives;
- Work cooperatively with TABE’s designated employees and affiliates to achieve legislative and business objectives;
- Research and analyze legislation with TABE’s objectives in mind;
- Monitor various bills, speeches, and statements of legislative leaders;
- Attend hearings;
- Write and review testimony and statements for use in legislative hearings;
- Monitor the general press and various congressional, government, and trade publications;
- Communicate frequently with TABE’s Executive Director;
- Submit a written report to the Executive Board one week before each Board meeting;
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and campus policies affecting schools;
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other required documents;
- Attend and participate in TABE Executive Board meetings;
- Attend and participate in the TABE annual conference and other events, as needed.
Qualities of Effective Lobbyist
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 7 years of experience with bilingual education.
- Satisfactory completion of Texas Lobbyist Registration.
- Clear understanding of TABE’s objectives.
- Proficient knowledge of legislative processes.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Ability to influence others.
- Available to attend events and meetings outside of working hours.
- $1,500 per month (About 15 hours a week - Flexible schedule depending on legislative session)
- This position does not include benefits
THE TEXAS ASSOCIATION FOR BILINGUAL EDUCATION DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, GENDER, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, OR ANY OTHER BASIS PROHIBITED BY LAW.