Teach USA
Application of Interest

We are thrilled you are interested in applying for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Teacher program to teach in U.S. primary and secondary schools.  If you'd like to be considered for programs starting July/August 2022, please complete this form.

As a J-1 Exchange Visitor Program sponsor, Cultural Vistas is responsible for administering exchange programs in compliance with the U.S. Department of State‚Äôs public diplomacy goals and visa requirements.  Cultural Vistas can provide qualified individuals with the J-1 Visa sponsorship necessary to pursue full-time paid teaching positions at accredited K-12 schools for up to 5 years.

For more specific details on J-1 programs, please review this Power Point before you submit this form.  Submitting this form DOES NOT guarantee you a position.

How it works:

We will first assess your eligibility for the visa.  If you are a viable candidate, you will be considered for any open positions that we identify with schools that may fit your background and preferences. U.S. schools make hiring decisions on an on-going basis sometimes through summer.  We will confirm with you if there is a potential match and will then share your resume directly with schools.  If they are interested, they will contact you for an interview.  They may also ask you to apply through their usual process.  Once offered a position, you will then complete the full CV application for sponsorship where you will submit documentation of your qualifications (diplomas, references, passport, etc.).  After we approve your application, you must go for an in-person interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to obtain a visa in the passport (except for Canadian citizens).

If you are not yet sure whether you want to be considered, you do not need to complete this form.  Please contact me at cgillam@culturalvistas.org to discuss your interest and clarify any questions you have.

Note:  We cannot guarantee location, salary, etc.  If you are set on certain places or other specifics, please do not submit your resume and, instead, search for positions by conducting research and applying yourself.  Schools do not need to be pre-registered with us or have experience with the J-1 but you should thoroughly review the power point to educate yourself before applying for positions.

J-1 requirements:

Possesses equivalent to U.S. 4- year bachelor degree or above in education or the subject you teach

Two years of full-time teaching experience in K-12 schools (not interns, assistants or fill-in subs or language schools, cultural centers or other non-primary or secondary school)

Currently teaching in at the time of application*

*OR is currently pursuing an advanced degree (higher than bachelor) in education or the subject you plan to teach/have received such a degree within the past 12 months from outside the U.S and has two years of full-time teaching experience within the past eight years.

Applicant Information

STOP!  If you have not carefully read the eligibility criteria AND the costs, please do so now before you continue.
Are you currently employed teaching full-time as a classroom teacher in a primary or secondary school? *
What is your current employment category? Remember you must be teaching at a primary or secondary school and not a language institute for evening/weekend courses, adult education, daycare, etc. *
What grade levels have you taught? *
Do you teach specific subjects only? *
What is the highest level of education you completed? *
Do you specialize in any of the following?
I hold a formal degree or certificate in one of these specialized areas.  This does not simply mean you teach English to non-native speakers.  These are officially recognized certifications.
Have you previously worked or studied overseas? *
Which regions will you consider for positions? *
What type of location best suits you? *
Are you able to pay Cultural Vistas fees? Some schools are able to assist with this and some are not. *
In addition to CV fees, there will be costs associated with moving to the U.S. including travel to obtain the visa at the U.S. Embassy and the govt fee $160, flights to the U.S., initial money to set up housing including furnishings and deposits, potentially licensing fees if a teacher license is required. Do you believe you would be able to support these additional costs? *

Motivation and Goals

For questions, contact teach@culturalvistas.org